Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Kitchen Remodel....the cheap way!

So this has been our big project this summer. We refaced and painted our kitchen cabinets! It was quite the project and the first time I hated that we had so many cabinets! We also ended up getting new flooring because it was on clearance at Lowes (we have now banned ourselves from that store ;) I am so happy with how they turned out - it looks so much better than it did before! Although it still needs new countertops and backsplash I think it has at least been brought out of the 80's!

This is what we did: We first had to remove the wooden handle all the doors and drawers, and then put another board the same width as the rest of the door in its place. Then we bought some plywood sheets and cut them into 2 1/2 inch strips to frame out the doors and drawers. Then we painted them white and added knobs and handles for a finished look.

With boards, paint and supplies, knobs and handles the total was around $250. Not bad considering it looks like we got new cabinets! Oh, and we didnt come up with this ourselves I saw it on HGTV (I love that channel :)

Before Pictures: (I was a little late getting my before pics - we had already taken off the top doors, but you get the idea) I did find a pic that Haley had taken a while a go that shows the top with the doors on)


After pics:


And yes, I know that I need a black fridge - need to get some more moneys first ;)Most of all I am just grateful to have my kitchen back!

8 comments:

Amber Jackson said...

Woot woo!!! IT looks Awesome! Good work! I am so jelouse of the wood flooring. I would do my whole living space, except the bed and bath rooms, if I could. :)
By the way we sent some late birthday gifts with your mom. miss you all!

Parkin Family said...

It looks awesome! I can't believe you made such a difference with only $200! nice work.
You kids are getting so big! I can't believe you have lived there for a year already.
Kailwy's fav. movie "the dance movie" is music man and I always think of you because they live in Iowa.

Parkin Family said...

LOL! I really do know how to spell Kailey's name. It is hard to do it one handed though (holding McCall on my lap). LOL.

Amy Nielson said...

I am glad you were able to do it! I remember you telling me about it. Nice job! I love it!

The Olsen Family said...

Looks great guys! Sounds like lots of work!

Katrina said...

I love the picture of Haley and Parker in the cupboard that is so cute! I can't believe that only cost you $250 awesome!

jkmortensen said...

Wow great job!!

Marshall and Rose Lowry said...

Good job! It looks great!